Friday, August 31, 2007

Party's over...

Yes, is the truth... for all students not yet fluent in Spanish, school has started on Thursday. All the lucky ones who are already fluent in Spanish have one more month, can you believe it, on full month of vacation!! The actual first day of the MBA program will be September 27. However, before that we'll have the pre-MBA courses so even the lucky Spaniards will have to come by the school and get a refresher on accounting or quantitative methods. We'll also have a communication course which is compulsory for all.

So, on Thursday, among other things we had the Spanish placement test. One short oral communication test and a computerized grammar test. The oral one was easy, the grammar was another story. There were about 50 to 60 questions, can't remember exactly, ordered by difficulty. The first twenty, no problem! From there on I had to make my brains think. The last 20, hmmm... I had to go by instinct.

Friday morning we got the results and surprise! I was placed in section G7 working on module 8. That was better than I thought. Apparently I must have got some questions right. Neat! That means by the end of the intensive Spanish course I could be done with section 10 and then maybe have sections 11 & 12 completed before the end of the calendar year. My colleagues in section G8 are already working on an intensive preparation for the DIEN exam, which apparently is the culmination of the Spanish course. I've heard the final test is hard so I better get a good hold on "Subjuntivo" before the end of these sections.

That's it for now. Got to go to bed soon. Did I mention we have classes on Saturday? Yeap! Half day but still../ on Saturday... YUK... I'll try to make some time tomorrow to write a little more about life here in Barca. So much had happened in the last month and I wrote so little. That's how it is... time flies when I'm having fun!

3 comments:

Yang Wei Yin said...

well Subjuntivo sounds foreign to me! wish to be there all ready, still waiting for the visa. :(

Carmen said...

Hey Wei! We all are thinking of you and keeping our fingers crossed. On Thursday at one of the introductory sections on visas and immigration Prisque asked the representative what can be done for your case. We were told IESE is working on it and doing what they can on this side. I'm sure things will work themselves out soon. In the mean time keep your spirits up. We'll celebrate when you arrive!

Gonzalo said...

Carmen, finally I did...: http://www.longestday.blogspot.com/
Like you, my purpose is to keep in touch with my family, friends, etc. Up to now only in spanish, hehehe... I haven't time enough to write the same in english, but i'll try to translate somo posts in the future...