Wednesday, August 1, 2007

First days... first impressions...

So, I was wrong... I'm still jet legged. Can't you tell? It's about 1:30 AM and I'm checking email and blogging. Well, I really hope it will go away in the next day 'cause I have work to do. No more waking up at 12PM and trying to start the day when everyone is at siesta. :)

I wasn't sure if I'll share this with you but in the end I decided it will be a lot of fun reading these notes one or two years from now. This story is from Tuesday, our first day in Barcelona. I was really tired coming off the plane... after we took a taxi to the apartment, I struggled opening the apartment door as the key locks are quite tricky on this side of the world. Finally, someone from the inside opened. It was Jane, one of our roommates. After introducing ourselves and chatting a little bit she showed me the room we were renting. In the excitement of the moment, after checking the room briefly, I placed the keys on the table and ran to take the elevator to help Rafael with the luggage. As I was closing the elevator door, I hear a loud noise: boom!! It was the apartment door closing behind me. I didn't think too much of it and continued down, where we loaded our many luggage’s in the elevator. Once we reached the floor and unloaded everything, as we were preparing to enter the apartment I realized that I didn't have the keys!! No problem I say, let's knock, as Jane must still be inside. So we knocked, and knocked, and rang the bell... All sorts of scenarios were going through our heads: maybe she left the house taking the stairs while we were coming up with the elevator, or maybe she took a nap because she wasn't feeling well... or maybe this, or maybe that. The thing is that we were hot, and tired, and perspired... and I was angry to leave the keys inside. So, I'm thinking of a strategy to get out of the building and try to walk to one other roommate's work place to borrow her keys. Then we find out we cannot get out of the building as the door downstairs is locked (later we learned how to use a buzzer to open that door). Now I'm pissed and it's getting hotter and hotter in the hallway! Rafael is keeping his spirits up as he realizes I'm on my last straw. He continues to knock, make jokes and try to cheer me up. Suddenly, as he buzzes again we hear some noise on the inside. What a relief. Jane was home but was taking a shower and couldn't open the door. I think we were out in the hallway for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Finally in the room I vouched never to leave the apartment without the keys, better yet, I put Rafael in charge just in case, to avoid future problems.

From here on things start improving a little. We got something to eat but not before taking a cold shower (we didn't know how to turn on the heater :) and then took a walk to Rambla’s. You already know we had to walk back on foot at midnight because the train wasn't running by the time we were coming home.

On Wednesday things improved even more. We know the area a little better now and it feels more comfortable to walk through the neighborhood knowing we'll find our way back home without a map. The evening got even better as we met, for the first time, 7 of our IESE friends at a nice Japanese restaurant in Gracia. I was so excited to meet them. We talked and talked, about school, finding apartments, cell phone networks, etc... and while we were talking the food kept pouring. Apparently at this place there is a set menu and they just bring the food to the table, no need to order. Well, let me tell you, it was so much food!! Every time we thought it was over they would bring some more! AND on top of everything there was DESERT! You can imagine we couldn't say no to that! It was an enjoyable evening and the long walk back home was a welcomed and needed workout.

Tomorrow, actually is already Thursday, well today is another day! Let's see what today will bring! Good night everyone!

1 comment:

Gonzalo said...

Hahahaha, funny beginning for your adventures in Spain, or not? They're promising...

I was joking... of course I hope you both spend the most wonderful days here.