Thursday, September 20, 2007

A..Count...Thing

Accounting - the art of counting things was probably invented to simplify the life of bean counters and complicate the life of MBA students. Here I am close to midnight trying and hoping to resolve this accounting case while fighting to keep my eyes open and my mind attentive to all the little intricacies of the text. I was supposed to go out tonight for the BOW (bar of the week) but then I opened the case figuring I will be done in one hour. Two hours later I'm still not done but I managed to do a lot of other things in the mean time such as looking up friends on Facebook, checking for air tickets on the Internet, talking to friends on Skype, catching up on my email and now updating the blog. Oh yeah, the case is not done and will probably have to wait until tomorrow. I lack accounting inspiration tonight.

BTW, everything was going well before we start talking about cash flows. You would think this is the easiest financial statement as all you have is cash in and cash out... Easy right!? Even a two-year old could do it. Well, life would be easy if cash flows were intuitive... BUT, someone decided the direct method was toooo easy and MBAs should struggle more and party less. And then the indirect approach was born! If you haven't had the pleasure to meet the indirect approach I suggest to keep your distance! It's a total mess!! Everything is backwards... ins are outs, minuses turn into pluses, increases in decreases and so forth. All I can tell you is that I look forward to the Spanish classes! They are like a breath of fresh air on a hot a count thing day!!

1 comment:

Gonzalo said...

AB-SO-LU-TE-LY agree with you... here am I, too.

BTW, thanks for your comment... in spanish! (I think people should appreciate that) Very very nice, as always. And... don't worry, you don't need permission.